Monday, November 5, 2012

Coffee With Friends

This morning I met up for coffee with one of the lovelies in my life. As we stood in line to order, the cashier remarked how "sweet" we both were and asked if we were close friends. A year ago, perhaps not. But today, I answered, "Yes, and becoming closer!" What a beautiful blessing it is when a stranger recognizes a connection between two people.

It got me to thinking about the journey of this very friendship. A year ago, we barely knew each other. Over the last 12 months, we've gone to lunch once or twice, caught up over coffee quite a few times, brunched on our birthday (we're both April 18th-ers), volunteered together, and she was the 1st to offer to host a Poetic Soul Gifts home party - which turned out to be a total success! She's become one of the biggest cheerleaders for my company - not only by making purchases herself, and hosting a party for her friends to place orders as well, but by encouraging me in my efforts & praising my accomplishments!

This morning I thought about the progression of my contributions to our coffee house conversations throughout this year:

*In January, we were optimistically brainstorming ways to work together in the music business.
*In March, I lost my music industry gig & went into depression & shock.
*In April, over hot cocoa with my birthday buddy, I shed a few tears as my life continued to fall apart around me.
*By July, I was making a part-time job out of going on interviews, though still unemployed.
*By the time she hosted the open house in October, I was working 2 other part-time jobs & hopeful for more Poetic Soul work.
*And on this chilly November morning, as we caught up over coffee once again, I couldn't stop smiling! I finally felt like I had exciting things to talk about. I've still got those other 2 part-time jobs, and Poetic Soul is hitting its stride for the holiday season. I had new products to show her, a catalog to share, and a gift basket to donate to a charity she's involved with. I've been busy, busy, busy - designing, crafting, & creating. Keeping busy by creating is where I prefer to live - that's my happy place. Life is looking up!

As a positive person by nature, I never like to be the Debbie Downer in someone's life. I'm certain that I have been that to several people for long stretches of time this year, as I struggled with many changes taking over my world. (To all of you to whom that applies, I apologize and thank you for bearing with me.) I am so grateful to be on my way out of that darkness and back into the light of a purposeful life. Debbie Downer be damned - I'd much rather be Peggy Positive!

There is a quote that I love which reads:

"You are my friend when you can guard my failure,
challenge my thought, and celebrate my success."
-Unknown

Throughout 2012, I've been blessed with several true friends according to this definition, and I am humbled by the love that I receive from them. In a year chock full of failures, I have felt guarded and protected by my friends. In a year when I had plenty to think about, I have been challenged by fresh perspectives from friends. And in a year where success has been hard to come by, I have always had someone alongside of me to celebrate even the tiniest of victories.

It's such a delight to engage in a friendship where you can stumble together through the rotten moments of life, and make it through to dance on the other side. Additionally, I appreciate the way that, in retrospect, occasional coffee dates serve as mile markers on the highway of life's progress. This year has been quite a trip - in every sense of the word - but as I look back, it's so gratifying to see how far I've come. There is an open road stretched out before me - "Two Lanes of Freedom," one might say - and I've still got a ways to go. But with a host of fabulous friends in tow, why should I be anything but excited about the journey yet to come?


No comments:

Post a Comment